Lil' bud always goes to sleep on Dad or me at home. But at daycare, he can fall asleep on his own, on a cot. I've finally decided, after 15 months, that I need to teach him to fall asleep in his crib. (Actually, I decided this months ago, but haven't been able to do it.)
I finally realized that we can fight this battle at nap time, rather than at bedtime when I am exhausted. So I have started our family Naptime Challenge, and I will fight this battle every day (except when Lil' bud is at daycare).
- This begins with lunch at 11:00, his normal lunch time.
- After lunch, turn on music and dance and play for a while.
- 12:00 is a diaper change, turn down the lights in his bedroom and turn on the sound machine.
- Help Lil' bud get comfortable in his bed by singing songs, reading stories, and talking for a short while.
- I go sit on the rocking chair and read until Lil' bud is sound asleep.
- Use the words "lie down" when encouraging Lil' bud to lie down (with the goal that he will, eventually, do this when I say it without me getting up)
- When Lil' bud is very worked up, use deep pressure on arms and legs to help him relax while he is lying down.
- Count to three before getting out of the chair to put him down, as I say I will help him lie down. (with the goal that, eventually, counting to 3 will work to get him to listen. When he's older.)
- Stay in his room until he is sound asleep.
- Ends at 3:00, or after he has been asleep for at least 45 continuous minutes.